Skip to main content

How to handle the conflicts of git

 

Starting...

This lab is to help students to solve the conflicts of merging their branch to master. So, following the instruction, I created two issues which are about Create a filter for status code and Use color flag to use color output. Both of issues came from same commit position from master.

Progressing...

The first step I took is I added the new feature and commit and merge to master branch. From this OSD600 course, I have learned new library, Yargs, from the lecture video, and a lot of classmates already used it. Hm, I am a slow-starter LOL. Anyway, after applying the library and little bit of code change, I merged to master branch and there was no problems. By the way, following my professor's instruction, I tried to use 

providing code to blogger, gist to avoid using just image.

And this is my first merge result.


Next, I moved the issue-8, which is about color option from Node environment. To make the test easier, I used dotenv library. However, in this time that I tried to merge to master, I got the conflicts.


To conflict this issues, I need check what files had the issues. Thank vs-code, it provides which files had the issues. So, after I fixed the issues, I tried to merge again and finally I got it successfully.

Concluding...

It was not easy actually. I had to modify a lot of parts and test it again and again. I can expect now that in the real world, I will handle with a lot conflicts from other co-workers since there are more than two issues...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experience about a contribution to fix a bug or issue

  Starting... I have been very exciting to review other classmates' repository before I will jump into a real open source project. From this lab, I have learned how to do forking and cloning other projects and create a new branch for a new issue or a new feature. It is very hard to wait for the owner's answer but it also can be a special experience  Reading... In my experience, finding an issue and improvement is not easy especially for other's task and really careful to touch it since it should be very sensitive. For this reason, my first step for this lab, I tried to create an issue with a nice comment. During the time for waiting for reply, I did forking and cloning the repository and started to review a code to find out what I can contribute. Finally, I figured out some part I can improve so I added comment for it,  Issue 5 I suggested three things. First of all, the number of counter is always the last number so I wanted to fix it. Second, I wanted to add an another ...

Coding Standard

  Starting... This lab is to help our codes to standardize automatically. As you have experienced a lot, group coding is very difficult to be unified in one specific style. In this lab, we will explore how to make one style code with very efficient or effective libraries, prettier and lint for node js . Progressing... Prettier,  link , is great for matching our coding style especially indent with tab or space, how many line and so on. The first step I took is to install prettier and put simple scripts in package.json,   "prettier-fix": "prettier --write \"./**/*.{md,js,json}\"",  "prettier": "prettier --check \"./**/*.{md,js,json}\"". I just run the script and I realized that there were a lot of prettier issues like indent, different ending style, tab, space and so on. Luckily, these scripts were very helpful since it provided auto editing features as well so I did not have to modify following the rules manually.   Eslint,  li...

Working with telescope

   Starting... This lab is to help students to communicate with a big project, telescope, and understanding how to handle with the set it up. There were a lot of trouble since many of technologies are new for me such as docker, docker-compose, elastic search ladis, pino, and so on. Let's jump in the big project . Progressing... The first step I took is to install wsl 2. It is not very difficult since microsoft provides good instruction, link . Although the telescope provides very good instruction,   here , It was not really easy for me to get a concept and set it up successfully. Therefore, I needed to ask a lot of questions on slack, telescope channel. Some helped me a lot and explained so much and finally I got it work successfully.  After my server was working locally, I didn't have any issue to get the response from the url, http://localhost:3000/posts.  To communicate with the local server, actually I needed to change my code a lot since I wanted to sp...