Skip to main content

Experience about a contribution to fix a bug or issue

 

Starting...

I have been very exciting to review other classmates' repository before I will jump into a real open source project. From this lab, I have learned how to do forking and cloning other projects and create a new branch for a new issue or a new feature. It is very hard to wait for the owner's answer but it also can be a special experience 




Reading...

In my experience, finding an issue and improvement is not easy especially for other's task and really careful to touch it since it should be very sensitive. For this reason, my first step for this lab, I tried to create an issue with a nice comment. During the time for waiting for reply, I did forking and cloning the repository and started to review a code to find out what I can contribute. Finally, I figured out some part I can improve so I added comment for it, Issue 5



I suggested three things. First of all, the number of counter is always the last number so I wanted to fix it. Second, I wanted to add an another option for http or https request by one simple option so the request will be easy to replaced with https or http. Last but not least, it is also one of option parts. With the new option, a time for request will be set so that the request doesn't need to wait a time for response more than enough. 

After that, I requested for my Pull Request to the repository and the owner reviewed my code and gave me a feed back and after fixing the improvement, I requested for Pull Request again.


After all of the review, he finally accepted my PR and I became a contributor to the project. It was a great experience although it is my classmate's repository. I am very exciting that I will jump into a real open source world soon.

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coding Standard

  Starting... This lab is to help our codes to standardize automatically. As you have experienced a lot, group coding is very difficult to be unified in one specific style. In this lab, we will explore how to make one style code with very efficient or effective libraries, prettier and lint for node js . Progressing... Prettier,  link , is great for matching our coding style especially indent with tab or space, how many line and so on. The first step I took is to install prettier and put simple scripts in package.json,   "prettier-fix": "prettier --write \"./**/*.{md,js,json}\"",  "prettier": "prettier --check \"./**/*.{md,js,json}\"". I just run the script and I realized that there were a lot of prettier issues like indent, different ending style, tab, space and so on. Luckily, these scripts were very helpful since it provided auto editing features as well so I did not have to modify following the rules manually.   Eslint,  li...

Working with telescope

   Starting... This lab is to help students to communicate with a big project, telescope, and understanding how to handle with the set it up. There were a lot of trouble since many of technologies are new for me such as docker, docker-compose, elastic search ladis, pino, and so on. Let's jump in the big project . Progressing... The first step I took is to install wsl 2. It is not very difficult since microsoft provides good instruction, link . Although the telescope provides very good instruction,   here , It was not really easy for me to get a concept and set it up successfully. Therefore, I needed to ask a lot of questions on slack, telescope channel. Some helped me a lot and explained so much and finally I got it work successfully.  After my server was working locally, I didn't have any issue to get the response from the url, http://localhost:3000/posts.  To communicate with the local server, actually I needed to change my code a lot since I wanted to sp...